What You Should Know
- To find out which version you have, go to Settings > Bluetooth, hit the I button, then scroll down to About.
- You may force an update by doing the following: Place the AirPods in the charging case, plug them in, and place them all next to the iPhone for an automatic update.
- AirPods updates (Update AirPods) are done automatically, and consumers usually have little influence over them.
This article describes what AirPods firmware is, how to determine what version you have, and how to upgrade your AirPods. This page pertains to all AirPods models, including the original, AirPods with wireless charging case, and AirPods Pro.
How to Update the Firmware on AirPods
Follow these procedures to see what firmware version your AirPods are running and to upgrade the firmware on your AirPods:
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPhone.
- Next to your AirPods, tap the I icon.
- Scroll down to the section under “About.” The Version line indicates the AirPods firmware version you’re running. (You may need to touch on the name of your AirPods and then search for the Firmware Version line if you’re using an older model or iOS version.)
- You can try to force an update to be installed if you believe one is available.
Important: Unlike updating the iOS, there is no button to upgrade the AirPods firmware. This is due to Apple’s prohibition on consumers doing this upgrade. Instead, AirPods firmware is updated automatically whenever a new version is released.
Updating AirPods by Hand
You can force an update if you want to. If an AirPods firmware update is available, it will be installed after you complete the steps below.
- Place your AirPods in the charging case that came with them.
- Connect a power supply to the charging case.
- Make sure your AirPods and case are in close proximity to your iPhone.
Do You Need to Update Your AirPods?
Yes, AirPods require firmware upgrades. However, unlike iOS and iPhone, updating AirPods is more difficult, and Apple doesn’t release new software updates nearly as frequently.
Firmware is the software that allows various gadgets and devices to work and give functionalities. Consider firmware to be the operating system for gadgets such as AirPods. New versions of AirPods software offer features, bug fixes, and enhanced functionality to Apple’s wireless earbuds in the same manner that new versions of iOS do for the iPhone.