This article will guide you through how to transfer text messages and iMessages from your iPhone to another iPhone.
The instructions in this article cover only Apple’s Messages texting app that is pre-installed on the iPhone. It doesn’t cover third-party texting apps such as Whatsapp.
This article includes 2 methods of transferring messages from iPhone to iPhone. The 2 methods are,
- Using iCloud.
- Using a Mac or PC.
How to transfer text messages from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud
Transferring messages from iPhone to iPhone using Messages in iCloud is the simplest way to transfer text messages. This iCloud feature was introduced to iCloud in iOS 11.4.
The way this feature works is similar to the way iCloud sync other data. After you enable it, whenever you upload content to iCloud, all your other devices that are signed in with the same account can download messages from iCloud. It backups up both SMS texts and iMessages.
How to use messages in iCloud to transfer contacts
Follow these steps,
- On your current phone, tap Settings to open it.
|You can use a Wi-Fi connection as well as a cellular data connection. But uploading your messages will be faster when you use Wi-Fi.|
- Tap on your name.
- Select iCloud.
- Slide the Messages slider to green to turn it on.
|This will begin the process of backing up messages to your iCloud.|
- Log in to the same iCloud account using your new iPhone that you want your messages transferred.
This will back up all your messages to your iPhone.
How to use an iCloud backup to transfer contacts
You may not want to use Messages in iCloud to transfer your messages. It may be because you have an older phone or you don’t want to pay for extra storage or you don’t want your texts saved in the cloud.
Whatever the reason, if you do not want to use messages in iCloud to back up messages, you can back up and restore your messages through iCloud. Here’s what to do,
- Tap Settings on your current phone.
- Tap on your name.
- Tap on iCloud.
- Tap iCloud backup.
- Slide the iCloud backup slider to turn it on.
- Tap on Backup now. It will start your backup. How long it takes depends on how much data you have to back up. Sometimes you may even have to upgrade iCloud storage depending on the size of the backup.
|Backups happen automatically when you plug your phone into power, is connected to Wi-Fi and the screen is locked.|
- You can start setting up your new iPhone after the backup is completed. You will be asked how you want to set it up. Choose to restore from backup. Then choose the iCloud backup which will backup and download all your backed-up data including your messages
How to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone using a Mac or PC
If you don’t prefer to transfer your messages through iCloud, you can use your Mac or PC to transfer them.
|Instructions in this article for Mac are only applicable to macOS Catalina(10.15) and newer versions. But instructions for older versions are mostly similar except that you use iTunes instead of the finder to back up your messages.|
Follow these simple steps to transfer contacts using your Mac or PC.
- First, connect your current iPhone to your Mac or PC.
- Next, open a new Finder window on your Mac or iTunes on your PC. If you have a PC, jump to step 5.
|On PC, when you are using iTunes, it will automatically back up your data on your iPhone once it is connected.|
- In the left-hand sidebar, tap on the Locations section to expand it, if it is not already open. Select your iPhone.
- Select Back up Now on the iPhone management screen that appears.
- You can start setting up your new iPhone after the backup is completed. Once you are asked how you want to set it up, choose Restore from Backup. Connect your phone to the Mac or PC that you used for the backup and select backup. This will start backing up and downloading all your data on your iPhone including messages.
That will be the end of this guide on how to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I turn off iMessage on Mac?
On your Mac, go to Messages > Preferences > iMessage > Sign Out > Sign Out. This will turn off iMessage.
What is the difference between texting and iMessage?
iMessages are in blue and text messages are green. iMessages only work between iPhones (and other Apple devices such as iPads). If you are using an iPhone and you send a message to a friend on Android, it will be sent as a SMS message and will be green.
Why can’t I use my phone number for iMessage?
If you’re out of cellular coverage, do not have a cellular plan at all, or have SMS blocked on your account for some reason, you will not be able to use your phone number for iMessage
Should I use iMessage or SMS?
Most iPhone users will want to use iMessages, as long as they have a good plan that can handle the data usage. The only reason to use SMS instead of iMessage is if you’re chatting with people who don’t have Apple devices, or if you don’t have any data on your phone.
You may like also: How to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone